Sunday, October 28, 2007

My latest FREE tools discovery: UStream.tv, Veodia, Blabber, SlideShare, SmileBox, and SLiPod

Ustream.tv http://www.ustream.tv A platform that provides live interactive video for everyone. Anyone with a camera and an Internet connection can use Ustream to broadcast to a global audience. Seriously, no need for an IT background with this one. This could be used similarly as vodcasting (just easier I think) and so the educational applications are similar to podcasting (video version): portable, accessible, mobile, download-able educational materials.

Veodia (http://www.veodia.com) The live TV studio in your browser. Currently, Veodia distributes limited free accounts to test the beta version. Great interest in this tool in the SL community for conferencing live, or posting lectures (archiving, etc). I just got mine yesterday. So I'll get back to you all on how this is really useful and accessible as a teaching/training tool. Some SecondLifers are already at work modding the application so that it is your avatar's head and not your RL likeness that shows up on the vid. (Many SL members are adamant about keeping their SL and RL lives completely separate.)

SLiPod (IM Unmitigated Gal in SL for your copy) an application that behaves like an iPod in Second Life. I finally got my copy on Friday....too late to demonstrate it to my ESL and foreign language educators' audience at the AECT conference...but I am getting really excited about this for language and culture instruction purposes. I am planning a project with the SLiPod creator so that we can disseminate this tool in the educational community with an emphasis on global awareness. Next project: to mash SLiPod and Veodia for powerful inworld conferencing and archiving (this has already been done, but I am interested --again-- in this application for global exchange)

The Blabber (SL in-world instant translator): choose your outgoing language (Japanese) and your incoming language (English). The computer-based translation has sometimes some funny/awkward or downright wrong translation...but that's material for more conversation :)

Smilebox (http://www.smilebox.com) Create animated scrapbooks, photobooks, slideshows, postcards, and ecards for any occasion, and email them to anyone. You can also add music to your creations. The Club Smilebox has a free one-month trial. I have not subscribed to the Club because my Kodak Gallery account (free also) does just as well (but Kodak Gallery does not offer animation options to my albums).

SlideShare (http://www.slideshare.net) Share powerpoint presentations online, slideshows, etc. "The world's largest community for sharing presentations on the web." I finally got around to activate my account yesterday. This is a much easier way to share ones presentation after a conference, a training, etc. People can go back to the ppt on their own time. The ppt is downloaded on slideshare's servers and become part of the "YouTube"-like community of ppts.
You can view my first ppt at http://www.slideshare.net/sreljic. You can also find a lot of the folks that you've been Twittering for a while in there (for me, that's Alan Levine aka Cogdog, Sarah Robbins aka Intelligirl, etc.).

1 comment:

Lorah said...

Thanks Sabine for the great resources.